What do UN Volunteers do?
As a UN Volunteer, you will help advance peace and sustainable development either in your own country or in another country around the globe. You will help people to lead healthier and safer lives and communities to be able to better address present and future challenges.
UN Volunteer positions are wide ranging; you may work in human rights, climate change adaptation, primary health care, disaster management, peace building, youth engagement or many other areas. You may work directly in a United Nations agency or be assigned to one of its partner organizations, a university or the government.
In return, you will be rewarded with an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Your engagement as a UN Volunteer will be an opportunity to change the world for the better while simultaneously honing your own skills, gaining knowledge and a better understanding of the realities of international development and peace building.
The minimum requirements to serve as an international UN Volunteer are:
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limit)
- university degree or higher technical diploma
- at least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French or Spanish
- commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism
- ability to work in a multicultural environment
- willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge
- ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations
- strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset
The key benefit of being a UN Volunteer is the personal satisfaction the volunteer assignment brings you as you make a positive impact on peace and development. However, UNV supports you during your assignment in several ways, e.g. through a monthly volunteer living allowance, annual leave, and medical insurance.
Volunteer Abroad With the UN: How To Apply:
- All UN Volunteer assignments to volunteer abroad application is only online.
- Make sure you confirm the deadline of any advertised position before submitting an application.
- Make sure you meet all minimum Volunteer Abroad With the UN requirements and possess any required document before submitting an application.